Monday, May 08 2017, 04:00 PM, Room 0G.006, Maths and Physics Teaching Centre
Prof James Williams (University of Western Australia)
A fundamental basis for magnetism and spin-electronics.
“Flowers from other Gardens”
The challenges and practices of how to observe and control the interplay between electron correlations, electron exchange, spin-orbit coupling, and field distortions within compound atomic structures are emerging from current research activity.
Studies of the physical interactions have accumulated from:
• spin-polarized electron momentum probing exchange (zinc and inert gases) and
spin-orbit coupling (with geometric phase) in free single atoms,
• spin polarized momentum dispersion in multilayered (Ag, Fe on W) thin films and surfaces,
• elemental momentum density dispersion in doped perovskite oxides, Zn2-xTi1-2xTa2xO4
• polymer blends such as polyvinyl, polyacetates, graphene, reduced graphene oxides,
• positronium Coincidence Doppler Broadening of elemental electron density dispersions.
Discussion will concern concepts at an introductory level.
• Proc Phys Soc 74, 369 (1959) The early stages of spark channel expansion.
JM Sommerville and JF Williams
• Physics Reports C 34, 325-369 (1977) Electron scattering by atoms and molecules.
PG Burke and JF Williams
• Phys Rev A 85, 022701 (2012). Topological angular momentum in electron exchange excitation of a single atom. JF. Williams, L. Pravica and S N Samarin
• Surface Science, 617 22 (2013). Probing surface magnetism by spin-polarized electron spectroscopy: Fe film on W(110), S Samarin, O Artamonov, P Guagliardo, K Sudarshan, M Kostylev, L Pravica, A Baraban, JF. Williams
• J Amer Ceramic Soc, 96 3286 (2013). Positron Annihilation in Off-Stoichiometric and Ta-Doped n2TiO4.
P. Guagliardo, ER Vance, GR Lumpkin, MG Blackford, K Sudarshan, J Davis, S Samarin, JF Williams.
• J Phys: Conf Ser 443 012048 (2013). Interface profile studies in immiscible and partially miscible binary polymer blends from free volume measurement. P Ramya, D Meghala, T Pasang, JM Raj, C Ranganath and JF Williams
• Applied Phys Lett, 106 (2015) 4. Controlling spin-orbit interaction in ferromagnetic Fe/Au double layer Samarin, S.N., Artamonov, O.M., Baraban, A.P., Kostylev, M.P., Guagliardo, P.R., Williams, J.F.