Last updated November 21, 2019 by Ian Stewart
Proposed Research Projects
A PhD position is available immediately to work at the Quantum Technology Group at Queen’s with Prof M Paternostro on non-equilibrium quantum thermodynamics enhanced by machine learning. The position will be funded by the Royal Society Wolfson Research Fellowship recently awarded to Prof Paternostro. Applications through the portal
will be accepted until 13 December 2020. All applicants will be interviewed and the successful candidate is expected to start in early 2020.
We are happy to receive applications from people wishing to undertake a PhD. Full funding (stipend and tuition fees) would be available for a number of UK nationals or EU nationals (who have lived in the UK for over 3 years prior to their application, unless otherwise stated). The closing date is 5PM(GMT) on 22nd Februrary 2019. All research projects are subject to availability and due to commence in October 2019.
For further information, please contact the supervisors of the Projects listed below or Prof. M Paternostro
This project will be prioritised for funding.
- Attosecond Spin-Orbit Spectroscopy
- Supervisors: Dr. A. Brown; Prof H. van der Hart
Funding has already been secured for these two projects (No residency requirement for EU nationals).
- Development of many-body-theory methods for positron-atom interactions
- Supervisors: Dr D. Green; Dr G. Gribakin
- Many-body theory of positron interactions with molecules/condensed matter
- Supervisors: Dr D. Green; Dr G. Gribakin; Dr M. Grüning
The following projects are also available.
- Propagating Uncertainty in R-matrix calculations through to plasma diagnostics
- Supervisors: Dr C. Ballance; Dr C. Ramsbottom
- Heat transport in quantum devices
- Supervisors: Dr G. De Chiara
- Universal resources for quantum information processing
- Supervisors: Dr A. Ferraro; Prof M. Paternostro; Dr M. Paris (UniMi)
- Quantum-data analysis for quantum technologies
- Supervisors: Dr A. Ferraro; Prof M. Paternostro
- Quantum chaos in multicharged positive ions
- Supervisors: Dr G. Gribakin; Dr C. Ballance
- Positron binding and annihilation in molecules
- Supervisors:Dr G. Gribakin; Dr A. Swann; Dr D. Green
The school of Mathematics and Physics has a number of fully-funded studentships available to the UK students and EU students who have completed their undergraduate studies in the UK. Apart from these, a small amount of support is available through a Purser studentship.
Please note that we will not be able to accept applications that do not follow the required procedures/forms.
For further information, please contact
Dr M. Paternostro
Centre for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
The School of Mathematics and Physics
Old Physics Building
The Queen’s University of Belfast
Belfast BT7 1NN
Telephone: +44 (0)28 9097 1928 Direct Line
We are a Research Cluster of the School of Mathematics and Physics at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland. Our research interests are focused primarily on computational and theoretical physics.
The Old Physics Building,
CTAMOP is situated.